Tri-Tip with Blackberry Barbecue Sauce
- 1 1/2 lb Tri-Tip
- 1 can Oregon Fruit Blackberries
- ½ cup red wine
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 diced jalapeno
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- kosher sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup catsup
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 Tbs firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 Tbs minced fresh ginger
- 1 -2 tsp hot sauce
- Put ¼ cup blackberry juice, red wine, minced jalapeno and olive oil in a large sealable bag. Rub the meat with the crushed garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put the meat in the bag and marinate for 1 hour or over night. Heat the grill to 350 degrees. Grill the meat using indirect heat about 10 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile put the blackberries with syrup in a blender, add the rest of the ingredients, including the marinade from the bag and puree. Put the sauce in a microwave safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap, vented for steam. Microwave on high until it comes to a boil, about 5 minutes. Stir every minute or so.
- When a meat thermometer registers 130 degrees, thickly slather some of the sauce on the meat. Continue cooking until the thermometer registers 135. Turn the meat and slather more sauce on the other side. When the internal temperature registers 140, take the meat off the grill and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. Serve with plenty of the hot barbecue sauce.