Serves approximately 8-12.
- 1 can Dark Sweet Cherries, drained reserve 2 Tbs. juice
- 1 can Red Tart Cherries, drained reserve 2 Tbs. Juice
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 packet unflavored gelatin
- ¼ cup cold water
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 lb chicken livers
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1 clove garlic diced
- 3 Tbs. Cherry Kirsch (cherry brandy)
- 3 Tbs. heavy cream
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. fresh cracked pepper
- Soak packet of gelatin in ¼ cup cold water. Bring to boil cherry juice and red wine and boil for 1 minute. Add to gelatin and mix to dissolve.
- Spray a Jell-O mold with cooking spray. Put a few whole or half of each type of cherry in the bottom of the mold and the dissolved gelatin and refrigerate to firm up.
- In the meantime, cook bacon until crisp. Crumble and set aside. Leave 2 Tbs. pan drippings in the pan and add the chicken livers, shallots and garlic. Sauté until chicken livers are no longer pink.
- Put chicken livers, shallot and garlic into a food processor, add heavy cream, Cherry Kirsch, nutmeg, and pepper and process until smooth.
- When aspic is set (about 30 minutes) spoon chicken liver pate into the mold. Spread until smooth. Chill for several hours.
- Unmold onto a serving plate and serve with toasted baguettes. (Save the unused cherries for your smoothies or just pop them in your mouth-they are terrific just as they are!)